Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cafe Rio Chicken Tortilla Soup!

So I don't know about you, but we love ourselves some Cafe Rio around this house! We go there to eat quite often, and love most everything on the menu. One of my favorite things to get is the Chicken Tortilla Soup. When I was thinking what to make for dinner tonight I thought of this soup. I decided to see if there was a recipe online and came across one, but decided to change it up a bit and put my own spin on it. It turned out great  if I do say so myself and was quick and easy to put together. The hubby also enjoyed it very much which is always wonderful considering he usually dosen't think of soup as a complete meal.  So here is the recipe... mostly just so i'll remember it cause I am terrible about writing down recipes. Try it out and see what you think!

Cafe Rio Chicken Tortilla Soup

1lb chicken cooked and shredded ( I marinated mine with lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper)
2T olive oil
1 large onion diced
6 cloves of garlic minced/pressed
3/4 cups minced carrots
5 cans chicken broth
1 small can diced green chilies
1 can Rotel ( Diced tomatoes w/ green chilies... I used Walmarts Great Value fire roasted brand)
1 can black beans
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 tsp  chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

In large soup pot saute onion, garlic and carrots in olive oil until tender. Add chicken broth, rotel and green chilies. Bring to a slight boil, and then reduce heat to low. Add the shredded chicken, black beans, seasonings, cilantro and lime juice. Let simmer for 30 minutes to let flavors blend. Garnish with guacamole, sour cream, tortilla chips and cheese.  Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. That sounds so good Megan! I am going to try it this next week. I know, for some reason boys don't think that soup is a meal, but I sure do LOVE soup!

    ReplyDelete